Stopping Identity Theft and Refund Fraud
Fraud and identity theft are two top cybercrimes. The Wisconsin Department of Revenue protects your identity and tax refund by using strong fraud protection and error checking safeguards. These safeguards stopped $63 million in bad refunds last year.
Our Identity and Fraud Safeguards
- Identify new fraud schemes and update systems to stop fraudulent refunds
- Review and adjust fraudulent homestead and earned income credits
- Evaluate returns processed for excessive withholding
- Find identity theft and assist victims
- Increased staffing and technology resources to combat refund fraud